ChatGPT can redefine customer engagement
Nathi Dube, Director, PBT Innovation, PBT Group
For the uninitiated, ChatGPT is a ground-breaking language model developed by OpenAI which simulates human-like conversations using advanced deep learning techniques. Launched at the end of last year, it has gained widespread adoption and has infiltrated the technology lexicon demonstrating its potential to impact virtually every industry sector.
This model comprehends human language and generates responses based on the input it receives. Even though chatbots have existed in varying degrees of sophistication since the early days of computing, ChatGPT sets itself apart as a generative model. Unlike rule-based and script-based chatbots, it generates new text based on the input, making it particularly useful for tasks like customer support, where customised output is essential.
Another distinguishing factor is that ChatGPT is a transformer model, utilising a mathematical technique called self-attention to process input and generate output. This enables it to handle longer text sequences and produce more natural, coherent responses.
A practical exercise
I have included at least five areas where ChatGPT can be employed to leverage AI more effectively.
- Customer support: ChatGPT offers accurate answers to queries, helping organisations build and maintain strong customer relationships. Customisable model responses can be integrated with existing systems for real-time, accurate responses.
- Education: With its flexible, interactive interface, ChatGPT can complement and enhance training and learning experiences by clarifying unclear concepts and providing additional examples to reinforce material.
- Data analysis: ChatGPT can be used for data cleansing, utilising natural language queries to identify errors in datasets and offer correction suggestions. Furthermore, the tool can perform data exploration, enabling users to ask questions and receive responses that facilitate better understanding of their data. The natural language capabilities of ChatGPT make it ideal for text data analytics tasks, such as sentiment analysis.
- Writing and debugging code: ChatGPT can assist developers by understanding various programming languages (e.g., Python, C++, Java, SQL) and helping them write and debug code, ultimately boosting productivity.
- Content creation: ChatGPT can generate diverse content on various topics, from poetry to technical subjects, and can be used to write blogs and newsletters.
Not quite there yet
While ChatGPT continues to improve and evolve, its responses may not always be accurate or comprehensive. The tool is currently best suited for less complex Q&A interactions and may struggle with more intricate questions typically encountered in customer service environments.
Due to the training data used, ChatGPT has limited knowledge of events post-2021. Furthermore, its responses may lack empathy, rendering it unsuitable for certain contexts.
ChatGPT can assist data-driven organisations in staying ahead of the curve without the overheads and limitations associated with in-house chatbot development. Forward-looking business and technology leaders are embracing ChatGPT, discovering new use cases almost daily that can enhance operational efficiency and provide them with a competitive advantage.